ALEXANDRIA — The Mid Minnesota Federal Credit Union is hosting free Community Days at its Alexandria office on June 14 from 10-11 a.m.
Shredding documents containing your personal information is a great way to protect yourself against identity theft by preventing the wrong person from finding your social security number, financial account numbers, credit card numbers, and any other data. valuable identification, the credit union said.
Through a partnership with Paper Storm Document Shredding, Mid Minnesota offers free shredding at all of its locations, including the Alexandria Office 405 50th Ave W, Suite #106.
The credit union asks you to limit your documents to three boxes. Mid Minnesota staff will be on hand to assist you. Shred Day will take place rain or shine.
Mid Minnesota also recommends these additional ways to protect your identity:
- Set up a “junk” email address for shipping or ordering products online to reduce the risk of your friends receiving spam or malicious emails if your email is hacked.
- Monitor your bank and credit card statements regularly.
- Review your credit report (at a minimum) once a year at:
- Shred all financial information such as: bank statements, credit card receipts, pre-approved credit applications, etc.
- Have payments directly deposited into your account (i.e. Social Security)
- Empty your wallet of extras. Remove your social security card and credit cards you don’t use often. Take your birth certificate and passport only when necessary.
- Keep an emergency list of all your financial account numbers and credit card accounts in a safe place, such as a safe deposit box at the MMFCU.
- Strengthen your passwords: minimum of 8 characters; use numbers, lowercase letters, uppercase letters and special characters, choose themes and phrases; do not use names or phrases about yourself; and use different passwords for everything.