US News & World Report is a multi-faceted digital media company dedicated to helping citizens, consumers, business leaders and policy makers make important decisions in their lives. We publish independent reporting, rankings, data journalism and advice that has earned the trust of our readers and users for nearly 90 years. Our platforms on usnews.com include education, health, money, travel, cars, news and 360 reviews.
We reach over 40 million people a month when they need expert advice the most and are motivated to act on that advice directly on our platforms. Our exclusive franchises include our “Best” series of consumer guides to colleges, graduate schools, hospitals, diets, cars, financial services and more. These guides provide an easy-to-digest list for consumers to better understand and compare when making their decisions. We continue to publish annual guides to the authoritative rankings of top colleges and top hospitals on our website and in print. And our flagship US News Live conferences highlight important national conversations, including Healthcare of Tomorrow and Healthiest Communities.
We believe in having a broad range of talent and experience at US News. We strive to maintain a welcoming workplace where everyone has the opportunity to succeed and contribute fully. Learn more about our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion initiative.
Your role in helping us shape the future:
US News is looking for a knowledgeable student loan expert and reporter to empower consumers with the knowledge to make the best student loan decisions.
This reporter is responsible for writing insightful and actionable articles on private student loans, such as the pros and cons of private loans versus federal loans, how a credit score affects your ability to get loans for your education, how to get a student loan without a co-signer, when it makes sense to refinance your student loans, and how to evaluate student lenders. You’ll also expertly review our private student loan articles, guides, and lender reviews to ensure accuracy and demonstrate your expertise to readers. The Student Loans Expert will also work with our Public Relations team to make television, radio and web appearances to promote and be the face and voice of our Student Loans Guides and our advice content. Strong writing and communication skills are required, and a background in student loans/personal finance is a must.
Are you up to the challenge?
You must be a recognized expert in the field of private student loans, with demonstrated expertise through your writing samples and media clips, comfort with media appearances, and excellent writing skills.
As part of your job, you will research and write weekly student-friendly student loan articles, update student loan content, and expertly review other student loan content on our site to ensure the accuracy and demonstrate your expertise to our audience. . You’ll also contribute ideas to our student loan advice content strategy and work closely with our PR team to prepare for an appearance on TV, radio and the web.
This position involves working closely with an enthusiastic and highly collaborative team of editors, social media experts, and PR and communications professionals in a rapidly changing digital environment.
Please submit a resume and cover letter for consideration.
You should definitely have
• A minimum of three years of journalism experience, with experience in the field of student loans
• Solid knowledge of the private student loan industry
• Previous experience with media appearances and interviews
• Solid understanding of SEO concepts and best practices
• Solid knowledge of social media platforms, such as Facebook, Instagram and Twitter
• The ability to multi-task and work to tight deadlines in a fast-paced digital environment
• Excellent communication skills
• College diploma or equivalent
It would be nice if you had
• Expertise in other areas of consumer lending, such as personal loans, home loans or business loans
• Experience with content management systems
• Experience using Google Docs and Sheets
• Familiarity with SEMRush
• Experience with traffic analysis tools like Google Analytics
What it’s like to work with us:
• Talent is our greatest asset
• We invest in passionate, high-potential people who understand US News’ dedication to our consumers
• Mission-driven entrepreneurial culture with core values of quality and integrity
• Focus on promoting personal and professional growth
• Competitive benefits including paid time off, medical expenses, tuition reimbursement and training
• Collaborative work environment – fun, diverse, inclusive and ambitious colleagues
Other job information:
These statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this work. This is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, tasks and skills required of employees assigned to this position.
This position will require the successful candidate to present proof of vaccination against COVID-19. As an equal opportunity employer, the Company will provide reasonable accommodations to individuals who cannot be vaccinated in accordance with federal, state and local laws.